Sunday, January 16, 2005

Calculating the OTL power

Well well well, a bit of maths here!

On the Transcendent forum, I asked a bit about the calculation of OTL power and I wonder what sort of power will my T12 OTL output?

Well, each tube of EL519 can generate about 1A and there will be 6 in each bank giving about 6A in AB mode as the peak current.

Solving the equation Ipeak = 6A = sqrt(2*power/speaker resistance)
Assuming the speaker resistance is 8ohms,
power of my T12 = 144W.

Well, not bad!

But that also put extra demand ont the transformers
6A peak current is about 4.3A RMS, operating at 50% duty cycle, requires a transformer with about a 2.15A secondary.

So the transfomer I need would be 135V x 2 x 2.15 = 580VA
Oops, I only have a 450VA transformer.......

What can I do? Well another phone call to my tutor Tai Po and he suggested to use 2 transformer in parallel. Well not perfect, and some people hate this..... but unless I buy another high VA transformer, I am running out of option....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home